Your Takeaways:

  • Form 7004 provides extra time for businesses to file their tax returns.

  • Form 7004 extends deadlines for various business tax returns and informational documents, including partnerships, corporations, trusts, and various informational returns, among several other entities.

  • Although Form 7004 extends the filing deadline, it doesn't extend tax payment deadlines.

Understanding Form 7004

Form 7004 is used to request an automatic extension of time to file a wide variety of business income tax, information, and other returns. Form 7004 grants businesses an automatic 6-month extension to file their tax returns, allowing them extra time to gather, organize, and file various tax documents.

1. What Does Form 7004 Do?

Form 7004 extends the filing deadline an additional 6 months (from March 15th to September 15th or April 15th to October 15th) for various forms, including income tax returns for partnerships, corporations, trusts, and estates. It also encompasses informational returns like those related to foreign corporations, partnerships, and certain trusts, among others.

2. Who Needs to File Form 7004?

Business entities facing challenges in meeting their tax filing deadline qualify as potential candidates for filing Form 7004. This includes corporations, partnerships, certain trusts, and estates. Whether your business structure is a large corporation, a smaller partnership, or a specific type of trust, if you need more time to sort out your tax documents, Form 7004 can help.

3. Why File Form 7004?

Rushed filings could result in errors or omissions that might cause penalties or audit risks. Form 7004 offers the opportunity for businesses to compile thorough and accurate tax information, reducing the likelihood of mistakes. It's important to note that Form 7004 doesn't extend the deadline for paying taxes. If you anticipate owing taxes, these payments still need to be made by the original deadline.

4. How Does Form 7004 Work?

Form 7004 provides an extension for filing certain tax forms, not an extension for paying taxes. Businesses must estimate and pay their taxes by the original deadline to avoid penalties and interest. However, Form 7004 provides the breathing room needed to prepare and compile the necessary tax documents accurately.

5. When to File Form 7004?

The deadline for submitting Form 7004 aligns with the original due date of the specific tax return it's extending. Generally, for most businesses, this is March 15th or April 15th. However, certain entities might have different due dates based on their fiscal year.


XYZ Inc., a C-Corporation, encountered unexpected delays in compiling its financial records for the tax year ending on December 31st. As the typical tax filing deadline of April 15th approached, XYZ, Inc. realized it needed more time to accurately report its income and deductions.

Understanding the importance of precise and complete tax filings, XYZ Inc. opted to file for an extension using Form 7004.

Situation Overview:

  • Company Name: XYZ Inc.

  • Business Structure: C-Corporation

  • Tax Year End: December 31st

  • Original Filing Deadline: April 15th

Reasons for Filing Form 7004:

  1. Complex Financial Records: XYZ Inc. encountered unexpected complexities in its financial records, needing extra time for review and compilation.

  2. Ensuring Accuracy: The company prioritizes accuracy and completeness in its tax filings to avoid penalties or errors.

How Form 7004 Helped:

  1. Extension Granted: By filing Form 7004 before the original deadline, XYZ Inc. secured an automatic extension of time to file its tax return.

  2. Additional Time for Preparation: This extension provided XYZ Inc. an additional six months, extending its filing deadline to October 15th.

  3. Strategic Approach: XYZ Inc. used this time to carefully review their financial statements, ensuring all income, deductions, and tax liabilities were accurately reported.

In summary, XYZ Inc. leveraged Form 7004 to strategically manage its tax obligations. The extension provided the company with the necessary breathing room to ensure a thorough and accurate tax return submission, aligning with its commitment to precision in financial reporting.

Where to Access Form 7004

Woman holding her chin with a question mark above her

  1. IRS Website: The most direct source to find and print Form 7004 is the official IRS website. Simply navigate to the "Forms & Instructions" section to search, download, and print the necessary form at no cost.

  2. Tax Preparation Providers: Many tax preparation service providers, such as certified public accountants (CPAs) or tax professionals, have access to IRS forms, including Form 7004. Businesses utilizing their services for tax filings can request assistance in obtaining and filling out the extension form.

  3. Tax Preparation Software: Certain tax preparation software includes Form 7004 within its platforms.

  4. Authorized E-file Providers: For those opting to electronically file Form 7004, authorized e-file providers recognized by the IRS offer the service to submit the extension request electronically. These providers ensure secure and efficient electronic transmission of Form 7004 to the IRS, and generally offer the quickest turnaround time.


  • Accuracy and Reliability: When accessing Form 7004 from any source other than the official IRS website, it’s essential to ensure the accuracy and legitimacy of the form. Using certified software or reputable tax professionals helps guarantee the correct and updated version of the form is used.

How to Complete Form 7004

Woman holding a pen filling out a form

Business Information:

  • Fill in the basic details of the business, including the company name, address, and Tax ID number (usually the Employer ID number).

Line 1: Identifying Your Return Type

  • On Line 1: Fill in the boxes to specify the type of return you're seeking an extension for. For example, if you are seeking an automatic extension for a partnership, you would enter the form code associated with Form 1065. 

Line 2: Foreign Corporations without US Offices

  • Check Line 2: This line pertains to foreign corporations and whether the corporation lacks a US office.

Line 3: Consolidated Group Filings

  • Consolidated Group Extension: This box would be checked if you are seeking to submit an automatic extension for a consolidated return. This box would only be checked by the primary parent or agent. Note that if this box is checked, you’ll be required to include a list of all members' names, addresses, and EINs. 

Line 4: Automatic Extensions

  • Certain Entities Eligible: Specific foreign and domestic corporations/partnerships qualify for automatic extensions per Regulations section 1.6081-5. These entities don’t need to file Form 7004. The specific eligible entities include:

  • Partnerships that keep their books and records outside the United States and Puerto Rico,

  • A foreign corporation that maintains an office or place of business in the United States,

  • A domestic corporation that transacts its business and keeps its books and records of account outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or

  • A domestic corporation whose principal income is from sources within the possessions of the United States.

  • As with Line 3, if Line 4 is checked, you will be required to attach a statement to the tax return stating the entity qualifies. Note that checking Line 4 will only grant an additional extension request – it will not grant additional time to pay.

Line 5: Non-Calendar Year and Short Tax Years

  • Line 5a – Non-Calendar Year: If your tax year differs, specify the start and end dates.

  • Line 5b – Short Tax Year Reason: Check the applicable box or specify "Other" for short tax year reasons. Provide a clear explanation if choosing "Other." Additionally, If the box for "Change in accounting period" is checked, it is required that the business has already applied for approval to change its tax year unless certain conditions have been met which can be reviewed here

Line 6: Estimated Tax

  • Total Expected Tax: Estimate the total tax, including nonrefundable credits, for the year. Enter "0" if expecting no tax liability.

Line 7: Payments and Credits

  • Total Payments: Enter the total payments and refundable credits.

Line 8: Calculation of Tax Balance Due

  • In this line, you will take Line 6 (estimated tax) and subtract payments and/or credits, which will equal the amount due.

  • You’ve likely read this several times already throughout the guide, but it is worth another mention – Form 7004 doesn’t extend tax payment time. If filing Form 7004, you still must pay any unpaid tax liability by the return due date.

How to File Form 7004

Electronic Filing (E-filing):

  • Available for Most Returns: Form 7004 can generally be electronically filed for most types of returns.

  • Exceptions: However, specific forms, such as 8612, 8613, 8725, 8831, 8876, or 706-GS(D), cannot be e-filed using Form 7004.

Mailing the Form:

  • Paper Filing Option: If unable to e-file or if your return type doesn’t permit electronic filing with Form 7004, you can submit the form by mail.

  • Important Note - Risk of Processing Before Extension: If you file Form 7004 on paper and submit your tax return electronically, your return might be processed before the extension is granted. This could lead to receiving a penalty notice, so it’s crucial to ensure timely and accurate filing of both the extension and your tax return.

Where to Mail Form 7004:

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Center: Send the completed Form 7004 to the appropriate IRS Center. The correct address depends on your business's location and the type of return for which you're requesting an extension.

  • Where to File: Refer to the "Where To File" section in the instructions accompanying Form 7004 to find the correct mailing address specific to your return type and business location.

Choosing the Right Method:

  1. Consider Your Situation: Based on your business’s return type and filing requirements, determine whether electronic filing or mailing the form better suits your needs (e-filing is generally much quicker and more efficient).

  2. Accuracy and Timeliness: Be sure to accurately complete the form and timely submit it to the correct IRS Center for effective processing.

Forms and Filing Deadlines by Entity

Partnership (Form 1065):

  • Tax Return Form: Form 1065

  • Filing Deadline: Usually March 15th (or the 15th day of the third month after year-end)

  • Requirements: Partnerships use Form 1065 to report income, deductions, gains, losses, etc. It provides a Schedule K-1 to each partner, detailing their share of income and deductions.

  • Extension Form: Form 7004 

  • Extension Period: Typically grants a six-month extension, moving the deadline to September 15th.

S-Corporation (Form 1120-S):

  • Tax Return Form: Form 1120-S

  • Filing Deadline: Typically March 15th (or the 15th day of the third month after year-end)

  • Requirements: S-Corporations file Form 1120-S, reporting income, deductions, credits, etc. They issue Schedule K-1 to shareholders, detailing their income shares.

  • Extension Form: Form 7004 

  • Extension Period: Typically grants a six-month extension, moving the deadline to September 15th.

C-Corporation (Form 1120):

  • Tax Return Form: Form 1120

  • Filing Deadline: Generally April 15th (or the 15th day of the fourth month after year-end)

  • Requirements: C-Corporations use Form 1120 to report income, deductions, credits, etc.

  • Extension Form: Form 7004 

  • Extension Period: Typically grants a six-month extension, moving the deadline to October 15th. Note: If a C-corp’s tax year ends June 30, it’s eligible for a 7-month extension.

Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs - Form 1120-REIT):

  • Tax Return Form: Form 1120-REIT

  • Filing Deadline: Usually April 15th (or the 15th day of the fourth month after year-end)

  • Requirements: REITs file Form 1120-REIT to report income and deductions from real estate investments. They're required to distribute at least 90% of their taxable income to shareholders.

  • Extension Form: Form 7004 

  • Extension Period: Typically grants a six-month extension, moving the deadline to October 15th.

Trusts and Estates (Form 1041):

  • Tax Return Form: Form 1041

  • Filing Deadline: Typically April 15th (or the 15th day of the fourth month after year-end)

  • Requirements: Trusts and estates use Form 1041 to report income, deductions, gains, and losses. They may distribute income to beneficiaries, and these beneficiaries receive Schedule K-1.

  • Extension Form: Form 7004 

  • Extension Period: Typically grants a five and a half month extension, moving the deadline to September 30th.

Each entity type has its specific tax return form, filing deadlines, and reporting requirements, tailored to their structures and purposes. It's crucial to adhere to these deadlines and accurately report financial information to fulfill tax obligations.

File Business Tax Extensions with offers a seamless experience for swiftly submitting Form 7004 online. Designed to guide you through each step, our platform ensures a smooth and expedited approval process for your business extension from the IRS.

We've proudly served over a million satisfied clients, earning an esteemed A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Our goal is singular: to make your business extension filing accurate, timely, and stress-free.

Get started filing today.

Filed Under:

See what some of the hundreds of thousands of satisifed customers have to say about our services:

Levi C
Levi C


I got approved within a couple days for my tax extension filing through these guys and they responded to my email the same day. Great customer service and fast results. Give them a shot.


Great Service!!

This is the second year that I used this service. Each time, the process was quick, easy and efficient. I will definitely be using this service in the future and will recommend it to friends and family.


Fantastic Site!!

The process was so easy. I processed this extension in a matter of minutes! For you last minute filers out there, come here. It'll help you end your long day in peace!

File your extension today!
Get Started