How to File for an IRS Deadline Extension in 2023
The tax filing season for 2023 officially started on January 23, 2023, and the IRS expects most taxpayers to file their returns by the regular due date of April 18, 2023. However, taxpayers can request an IRS deadline extension, and get an additional 6 months to file their tax returns. In this article, we will explain some of the reasons and ways to get an extension for 2023, and how to avoid interest and penalties if you owe taxes.
Reasons and Ways to Get an Extension
There are several situations that may allow you to get an extension of time to file your tax return, such as:
- Storms and Disasters: The IRS has granted relief to taxpayers affected by severe storms and disasters in certain areas of California, Alabama, and Georgia. These taxpayers have until October 16, 2023, to file their 2022 tax returns and pay any taxes due. The IRS may also provide relief to other taxpayers in disaster areas throughout the year, so check the IRS website for the latest updates.
- Overseas and Military: Taxpayers who live and work outside the United States and Puerto Rico have until June 15, 2023, to file their 2022 tax returns. This also applies to members of the military on duty outside the U.S. and Puerto Rico. However, interest and penalties on any unpaid taxes will start to accrue from April 18, 2023.
- Form 4868: Taxpayers who need more time to prepare their tax returns can request an automatic six-month extension by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, by April 18, 2023. This can be done online, by mail, or by phone. Filing Form 4868 will give taxpayers until October 16, 2023, to file their tax returns, but it does not extend the time to pay any taxes due.
If you want to save time and hassle, we suggest using IRSExtension.Online, the reliable e-file service that has helped over a million customers and earned an A+ BBB rating. With our customized assistance and immediate confirmation of a properly filed extension, we make the process of filing for a tax extension totally stress-free. Click here to find out more about how you can file an IRS federal tax return extension with IRSExtension.Online.
What to Do If You Owe Taxes
It is important to note that an extension to file is not an extension to pay. Taxpayers who owe taxes should pay as much as they can by April 18, 2023, to avoid interest and penalties. The IRS offers several payment options, such as:
- Direct Pay: Taxpayers can pay directly from their bank accounts for free on the IRS website.
- Credit or Debit Card: Taxpayers can pay with a credit or debit card online or by phone through an IRS-approved payment processor. However, there may be fees involved.
- Installment Agreement: Taxpayers who cannot pay their full tax bill at once can apply for an installment agreement with the IRS to pay in monthly installments. There may be a setup fee and interest charges for this option.
- Offer in Compromise: Taxpayers who are unable to pay their tax debt in full or in installments may qualify for an offer in compromise, which is an agreement with the IRS to settle the tax debt for less than the full amount owed. This option requires a $205 non-refundable application fee and a detailed financial analysis.
The IRS deadline extension for 2023 may provide some relief to taxpayers who need more time to file their tax returns, but it does not relieve them from paying their taxes on time. Taxpayers should file their returns as soon as possible and pay as much as they can by April 18, 2023, to avoid interest and penalties. If you want to file for an extension quickly and easily, use IRSExtension.Online, the trusted e-file service that will make your tax extension process a breeze. Click here to get started today.
See what some of the hundreds of thousands of satisifed customers have to say about our services:
I got approved within a couple days for my tax extension filing through these guys and they responded to my email the same day. Great customer service and fast results. Give them a shot.
This is the second year that I used this service. Each time, the process was quick, easy and efficient. I will definitely be using this service in the future and will recommend it to friends and family.
The process was so easy. I processed this extension in a matter of minutes! For you last minute filers out there, come here. It'll help you end your long day in peace!